[ale] somewhat OT - are Android Smartwatch Bluetooth notifiers safe?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Mar 7 17:59:37 EST 2017

On 03/07/2017 05:25 PM, Joey Kelly wrote:
> <snip>
>>  Just for fun, I ordered an
>> $8 SIM card to hook up with the $3/mo Tmobile service.
>
> Huh? What do they provide for three measly dollars?

Access to their network on a PAYG plan.

30 minutes and 10 texts allowed, I think. Never use them.  Zero data,
but you can add a 7-day 1G data plan for non-roaming locations for $10.
"Roaming" has burned me a few times - OBX and Alaska are "roaming" and
not covered in the $10 data add-on, for example. They wouldn't refund my
money - I'd used 50 bytes to verify the data was enabled in Portland on
the way.

I have wifi almost everywhere. Can't see a need to have data plan most
of the time. Plenty of off-line apps, plus ads don't get in the way or
suck data.

Sorta shocked about the SIM cost. I've always gotten one free or for $1.

BTW, I've been on the t-mbl PAYG plan since 2007. It used to be better.
No monthly costs, pay just for minutes used. Bought $10/yr for about 8
yrs, that was it, before they changed it to $2.95/month in late 2015.
$48/yr is pretty reasonable for an emergency cell phone, IMHO.  My
prepaid account expires yearly, so just put $50/yr on it.  I figure most
people are paying $50+/month, so adding the $10/wk for data during
travel is a bargain!

But it is t-mobile and sometimes the coverage does suck completely.
OTOH, in those places pretty much every cell networks suck including
verizon and AT&T.