[ale] SMB routers capable of having multiple WAN IPs on one interface?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Jul 29 06:08:28 EDT 2017

a) don't use plain FTP. That protocol should have died in 1995. Use sftp
with keys.  The interface is exactly the same as plain FTP.

b) Any proper router can support multiple WAN IPs.  I used to do it with
dd-wrt on a $20 Buffalo. It isn't point-n-click, but it isn't that hard.

We've learned to avoid the sort of router you seem to want because they
are not properly maintained by the vendors. After 2 yrs, most vendors
completely forget their old routers and stop providing firmware updates.

open/dd-wrt isn't any better.  Old routers are forgotten by the
maintainers.  They are volunteers who love routers, so they are
constantly updating their own hardware.  Make sense.  Why would they
maintain a distro for 3 yr old hardware?

To solve that issue, there is only 1 solution that I know.  Build a
router around a Linux or BSD distro that is constantly patched.  If
there aren't monthly firmware updates, then the vendor just isn't
patching enough. About the slowest, supported, solution, I'd go with is
pfsense. They don't make updates quite often enough, but it is their
only job and they know it.  Maintaining a pfSense-based router is really
easy.

Plain FTP is a much bigger issue here, IMHO.