[ale] Programming Languages and Personality?

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 11:16:48 EDT 2017

I find myself greatly influenced by the community around the language
and the books on the topic. Mentoring is beyond my skill; I was as much
a learner as the others. The issue is the longer term sticking with it
and the community of encouragement.

I started looking at some languages based on "Crafter" (C, Go) versus
"Producer" (Ruby, Python). Not to say the language can't flow back and
forth but they tend to attract a type of mindset. That was the original
theory, anyway. I'm more of a Producer; quickly make something and share
it. Crafters make fewer things but do them really really well.

Not sure if that image really holds water but I think the community
attitude can influence newbies' enthusiasm based on similar mindsets.