[ale] RHEL 7 Compatibility Question

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 17:40:55 EST 2017

ALErs,

I have a customer asking for a high performance computer for running RHEL
7, but I am having difficulty finding the RHEL HCL on line so that I can
verify whether it would work.

The basics of the preferred configuration details are X-99 chipset
motherboard with Xeon E5-2697V3 or V4 CPU, 4x 16GB DDR4 ECC REG (64GB
total), Blu-Ray combo drive, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSDs and ATTO
ExpressSAS H1288 HBA plus a CRU Dataport DX115 for a removable data drive.

The Asus QVL doesn't list ANY SAS controllers for the particular
motherboard requested. That doesn't concern me too much, they may have
simply never tried. However what I have found on the RH site is that the
Xeon E5-2697V3 is supported on the C610 chipset, which does give me pause.

Have any of you had the good fortune to [attempt] to run RHEL 7 on an X99
chipset with such a high performance CPU? Or at least shed some light on
the (im) possiblity of such a combination?

Thanks in advance.
Greg Clifton