[ale] Recommended (or not) routers

Ken Cochran kwc at shell.TheWorld.com
Wed Jan 4 10:07:42 EST 2017

Hey ALErs & Happy New Year :)
Looks like I need to get a couple of wireless routers.
Any updated Words Of Wisdom/pointers on what to seek or avoid?

My 1st one was an ASUS RT-N16, ran DD-WRT, think I bought as
refurb, worked great for years, now lightning-damaged (WAN port
now bad).

2nd, ASUS RT-AC68P, also refurb, stock firmware but it's in
DD-WRT's support list, also lost to lightning.

3rd & current, ASUS RT-AC68P (again, liked the last one), another
refurb, works fine.

Looking for:
1.  Alternative/open-source firmware support (DD-WRT, Tomato,
    whatever; suggestions?)
2.  Not super expensive, umm... <$200 or so?
3.  Recommended places to get?  The above 3 all came from NewEgg
    but who else is good for reburbs?  (Anyone in
    ATL/Microcenter/Fry's?)

Thanks, -k