[ale] VLANs for home with a Linux Router

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon Jan 2 19:46:22 EST 2017

You'd have to hang the file server on a spare router port instead of the
switch and then let the router handle the VLAN switching if you're going
to use non-VLAN-aware hardware elsewhere.

Alternatively have the IP range for the guest LAN be different from the
IP range for the other devices and both outside of each others netmasks
(so 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24) then put IP filtering on the file
server to block the wrong network although with the netmasks as such it
would be up to the gateway to route the packets (the default route on a
guest won't let the packet go straight to an out-of-network device,
it'll route to the gateway).

Which Meraki are you using?