[ale] New to the LUG

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Mon Feb 20 19:29:17 EST 2017

On Mon, 2017-02-20 at 18:56 -0500, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> Jim always needs a free beer

+1M!

:-)

Mmmmm! Beer!

Need to make time to brew. Have ingredients for several batches (mild
ale, pale ale, porter, stout, imperial stout and imperial IPA). Just
got the fermentation fridge setup. Need to replace a thermostat probe
in my HERMES hot tank and live on my deck for a few weekends brewing. I
can house 2 6.5G fermenters at a time in the fridge. Oh. I _have_ 2
6.5G fermenters! What a coincidence!

The counter-flow plate chiller was well worth the $$. I feed it chilled
water from a 20# ice bucket recirculating with a small pond pump.
Boiling 6 gal to 78F yeast pitching in about 10 minutes. Add a HEPA
filter air pump and stainless steel bubbling stone and it's all pretty
much boil to fridge in 15 minutes.

Clean up is simple, reverse one connection on the plate and pump water
in backwards and dump it, chase with a bit of PBW solution, chase with
a bit of fresh filtered water and bake in the oven at 250 for an hour
to dry, cover the openings with foil and store.

Am curious to investigate using ultrasonic transducers to see if it
would speed up the mash process. Would be really nice to get that
1+hour down to 10-15 minutes.