[ale] [OT] Electronics recycling in metro ATL

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Thu Feb 16 23:21:50 EST 2017

FWIW, the Dekalb site on Memorial Drive had a not-readily-visible banner
(it was pinned up on the inside of the storage container) that said that
they do not accept TVs. Said banner was being completely ignored; there
were several TVs lying around. There was one big JVC internal projection
set there, which as far as I'm concerned should have been A-OK because
there's no CRT there. I dunno about JVCs or any other brands, but having
tried to rehabilitate a Sony internal projection set (a partial success,
by the way - I gave it a little more life) I can personally attest that
those things were basically defective when first sold. There was even a
class-action suit but it was long over before I found out about it.

BTW, the picked-up-off-the pavement quad-Core2 Xeon Dell is now a hale
and hearty Gentoo-running compute node. It can transcode SD video about
as fast as the Athlon X2 machine that I've been using for that purpose.
I left its four SAS drives and PERC controller in the RAID5
configuration it arrived with; / and /home are btrfs and the former is
compressed.

The machine's new name is LANDFILL.