[ale] Quiet spinning drives?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Feb 14 17:24:21 EST 2017

Hah , yeah, the fans are already pretty loud which is why it's sitting
in a closet instead of out in the open. :)  But the thing that comes
through the most is the whine of the drives.  They're both quite old.  I
think I bought them in the very late 90's, but I'm fairly certain
they're at least 15 years old so the bearings are probably a bit wobbly.
 I don't think mounts are going to help me in this situation.  Right now
both drives are suspended inside the case with long zip ties.

I may just give in and go SSD anyway but I had hoped there was some
quiet-ish spinning drives around.  reviews never seem to comment on
noise other than "quiet" without really being specific.