[ale] To gentoo or not?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Feb 14 09:55:15 EST 2017

On 02/14/2017 09:27 AM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 02/14/2017 08:04 AM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
>
>> How is this different from Gentoo?  ;) running away ...
>
> Us gentoo masochists *like* this kind of abuse.  You are
> feeding the beast, not slaying it. (-:

I ran Gentoo for a time as well.  Then I did testing of my results
compared to standard Redhat performance. Mine was slower.  If RAM and
storage are a premium, gentoo can make sense, but if it is about raw
performance, I've learned that the professionals can tune a kernel much
better than I could after 6 months of effort.

Perhaps in another 2 yrs, my custom kernel would be faster. Fortunately,
I got side-tracked. ;)