[ale] eth numbering change

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 08:17:33 EST 2017

On Feb 14, 2017 8:07 AM, "DJ-Pfulio" <djpfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> If we could only get the HARDWARE side of the boot process faster! I've
got some
> very new, very modern server gear that from power on to Linux boot start
is
> measured in MINUTES (I'm looking at you IBM!). Why oh why can the BIOS
store the
> IDs of the device tree and do a fast "give me your ID scan", ok nothing
changed
> so send back an init command to everything to run in parallel.

You pay IBM extra for all their HW checking and validation. You do realize
that?
Better to find an issue at boot than have corrupted data.

_I_ don't pay IBM for anything. :-)
The bios bloat seems to be in the pico-sized Linux os that is started to
provide a web based gui for interacting with the bios. The clock speed of
that process seems to be low KHz :-(
The initialization of the individual devices seems to be about the same
time span as anything else.

> I keep swearing (more than usual) I'm gonna build by blasted tool called
> "shoehorn" to help squeeze into a tight boot. The basic idea is to PXE
boot a
> generic kernel with EVERYTHING as modules, probe all hardware, report
back to a
> master server the list of found hardware, it assembles a new kernel with
nothing
> but what's needed or points to an existing kernel, set's up a perm PXE
boot
> environment based on MACs and then provides the slimmest kernel and
initramfs
> possible.

How is this different from Gentoo?  ;) running away ...

Ha! I tried 'emerge boot' and only got a slipper :-)

It is actually rather similar. The difference so far is the end point of a
PXE boot kernel and settings and the archival of the hardware collection
for later reuse by other, identical systems.

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo