[ale] I Win, I Win!

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Mon Feb 13 16:18:15 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 03:00:32PM -0500, Pete Hardie wrote:
>    "read the paper while"
>    What is this" paper" you speak of?

Um, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution or the like?
That's what folks used to do before the Internet invaded our lives.

BAJ

>    On Feb 13, 2017 11:53 AM, "Charles Shapiro"
>    <[1]hooterpincher at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    $40 Amazon Kindle Fire, rooted and running Nexus Android 5.1.1 ( kernel
>    version 3.10.54+).
>    Took me about half a day. Steps:
>       * Downgrade Kindle OS from 5.3.2.0 to 5.3.1.0
>              ( 5.3.2.0 is not rootable, the latest & greatest 5.3.2.1 is
>    not downgradable. 5.3.1.0 is vulnerable to KingRoot)
>               Place device in recovery mode by holding down volume down
>    key, select side-load mode, use ADB to side-load older OS, reboot)
>       *  Use RootJunky.com's excellent AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool (
>    [2]http://www.rootjunky.com/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool/ ) to:
>          *  Root phone with KingRoot
>               Load KingRoot on phone with ADB, bang on it repeatedly until
>    it starts correctly and grants root permissions -- this was about 3
>    hours of repeatedly running the program and rebooting until it
>    'caught'.  I read the paper while restarting the program over and over.
>           * Install SuperSU after rooting phone
>            * Install Amazon Play Store
>       * Use Amazon Play Store to install the latest version of FlashFire
>    (the one in the SuperTool is a couple of versions out of date)
>       * Find the Nexus Amazon Fire ROM ( courtesy of ggow on
>    XDA-Developers ( [3]https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/orig-
>    development/rom-fire-nexus-rom-lmy49f-t3300714 )
>       * Install the Nov 2016 version of this ROM with FlashFire (the
>    newest one appears corrupt). After adding a camera app, a gallery app,
>    the Dolphin browser, and the DuckDuckGo app, I currently have just over
>    5 gb of storage free on an 8 gb device.
>    All this just to gain control of my Own Device.  Amazon's Android build
>    as shipped forces advertisements to the lock screen, locks you out of
>    basic functionality until you register with Amazon, and won't let you
>    change the home page on your browser. Of course, it also won't allow
>    you to delete the plethora of Amazon bloatware shipped with the device.
>    It also will auto-update to the latest (non-rootable,
>    non-downgradeable) build when it gains a network connection and thinks
>    you're not looking.  You cannot change this behavior unless you have
>    already rooted the device.
>    OTOH, for $40 or so it is a right nice piece of hardware, once you have
>    wrested control from those who would exploit you. So it Goes.
>    -- CHS

> References
>
>    1. mailto:hooterpincher at gmail.com
>    2. http://www.rootjunky.com/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool/
>    3. https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/orig-development/rom-fire-nexus-rom-lmy49f-t3300714
>    4. mailto:Ale at ale.org

Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff