[ale] Router Recommendations?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Feb 10 12:44:07 EST 2017

Don't use PPTP. It has been broken for years. This is well-know. Even
MSFT says it shouldn't be used.

Also, I'd be inclined to get a minimal number of ports on any router and
use cheaper switches if more ports are needed.

I have doubts that a Celeron can keep up with GigE a VPN. Most people
seem happy to get 50-80Mbps over openvpn on lower-end hardware like
this. I don't know of any VPN solutions which do much more and
definitely NOT at those price points.  Would love to hear/see people
with facts getting better numbers for $300 equipment.

Stick with Intel GigE NICs so offloading to the NIC can happen. Realtek
and others just don't seem to work well, from the reading I've done.

Know my $144 APU2 box only gets around 650Mbps in lab testing.  Didn't
test openvpn at the time, but other people with similar HW say 40Mbps.
https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=108231.msg612643#msg612643 has
some benchmarks for different ciphers.