[ale] Vizio TVs Sucking Privacy

Dustin Strickland dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 13:10:17 EST 2017

>Anything we can imagine will/or
can be done. Ultra-sonic networking between devices with speakers and
microphones.

My god. This is a horrifying concept.

On Feb 9, 2017 12:35 PM, "DJ-Pfulio" <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

It is just a matter of time.

Plus IoT stuff **IS** both a target AND an issue.
Got a Vizio smart-TV (11m sold)?  It has been sucking up everything
shown on the screen for years.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/
2017/02/what-vizio-was-doing-behind-tv-screen

"Vizio captured as many as 100 billion data points each day from
millions of TVs."
"$1.5 million payment to the FTC and an additional civil penalty to New
Jersey for a total of $2.2 million."

That isn't even a slap on the wrist.  $150M fine is needed to get their
attention.  What about all the people outside NJ with these TVs?

Running linux doesn't make anyone safe. Anything we can imagine will/or
can be done.

Ultra-sonic networking between devices with speakers and microphones.

It is passed time that we control our networks appropriately. I'm
included in that "we", BTW.

On 02/09/2017 10:29 AM, Charles Shapiro wrote:
> These tools have been seen in the wild.  Linux is not a target.  'Nuff
said.

> -- CHS
>

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net
> <mailto:agcarver+ale at acarver.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 2017-02-08 09:25, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
>
>     > I can see a day when we need to drop known networking methods on our
>     > LANs to aid in the fight against this issues.
>     >
>     > If you aren't blocking general egress traffic from your LAN,
perhaps it
>     > is time to start, even at home.
>     >

>     "You're going to need a bigger boat." (firewall)

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo