[ale] eth numbering change

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Wed Feb 8 14:16:06 EST 2017

My experience has been that new NICs generally show up as an increment of all previous NICs.
e.g. if you had only an eth0 the new one would show up as eth1.  If you had eth0, eth1 and eth2 the new one would show up as eth3..

I’ve seen this even when I removed a NIC so that it does not automatically get rid of the eth# used by that NIC even though it is no longer there.

I have seen oddities occur that made me go address udev rules to get rid of old entries and/or reorder/edit entries so the NICs have the eth# I want (including in above removal scenario).