[ale] Including Makefile

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Feb 4 18:10:28 EST 2017

I'm including a Makefile in a Makefile via ../../../../ ../Makefile.inc, but I want to "cascade" them. Here is a same tree:

build_root
I0000025
src
binutils-2.25

One option is to simply use links. In binutil's Makefile I could add
include ../Makefile.inc

In src:
ln -sf ../Makefile.inc Makefile.inc

I can do that in src'c parent of I0000025. This is easiest.

I thought If I used a Makefile.inc in each directory that only had 'include ../Makefile.inc' I could then modify that inc as needed to add stuff that pertains to the children of that directory. The obvious issue of make in binutils would always be in binutils and ../Makefile.inc would loop because it does not change directory when including. Of course it looped and I get "too many open files".

Is there a way I can do the files instead of links like I want to?