[ale] How to get working htpasswd command onto old GoDaddy Server

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Fri Feb 3 11:11:57 EST 2017

hmm.  Sometimes just asking a question provokes an answer.   Apparently
this little bit of PERL will create a similar file.

cat myhtpasswd.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
chomp(my $filename=$ARGV[0]);
chomp(my $username=$ARGV[1]);
chomp(my $password=$ARGV[2]);
if (!$filename || !$username || !$password) {
  print "USAGE: ./crypt.pl filename username password\n\n";
} else {
  open FILE, ">>", $filename or die $!;
  print FILE $username . ":" . crypt($password, $username) . "\n";
  close FILE or die $!;
}

The actual encrypted string is completely different from what my Centos
box generates, but when I plopped it in place, Apache accepted the very
same password.