[ale] Programming and preferred languages?

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 14:09:22 EST 2017

I understand that real programmers can move among different languages. The
theory I have, subject to facts, is that while learning it is best to code
a lot and limit the things you're trying to learn to a manageable level.
That's why I've been on Ruby; it inspires me to code more than I've been
doing in Python or C.  What should actually happen is that I'll get good
enough at stuff to pick up new languages faster. That's the theory, anyway.

So, I've done a little TDD and this morning started to learn how to package
a Ruby gem. I have some text munging stuff to do and some "refactor large
methods into a class" if you follow Robert Martin's "Clean Code" paradigms.
I can do this in Ruby and move forward in those skills, or switch to a more
used language and go back to the "code newbie" stage. I'm not a good enough
coder yet to easily move to mid-level skills.

Make sense? I'm still recovering from a head cold or something and the day
is going long.

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>