[ale] printing fun

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Dec 15 09:38:40 EST 2017

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 05:52:19PM -0500, Kyle Brieden via Ale wrote:
> I've found, lately, that network printers aren't worth the trouble to "set
> up" on my machine.  Just navigate a web browser to port 80 on the printer's
> IP and load up the web UI.  With most modern printers, there'll be a "submit
> document to print" button or form.  Upload your PDF there and the printer
> will make it into a real boy... er, document pretty promptly.

If you're using a modern-ish printer, especially one that uses
postscript (like I'm sure the LaserJet does) then it's already fully
IPP-enabled with zeroconf.

So a modern Linux distro will auto-discover the printer and set up the
necessary "driver" (really just a matter of fetching the PPD from the
printer) without any user interaction whatsoever.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^