[ale] CrashPlan Home, cancelled

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Aug 24 17:23:21 EDT 2017

Not perfect, but costs are well understood and the data never leaves
your control ...

* Get a couple HDDs and a USB3 dock for backups.
* Swap just the disks between home and work every week.
* Use the one at home for daily, versioned, automatic, backups to the
encrypted file system on it.
* The one at work is your off-site backup from last week. Encrypted.

8TB disks have been $160 this month, but 500G disks are probably more
than enough for most "critical data" in a home.  500G was enough for
over 10 systems here.  Just deal with large media stuff separately.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
going 70 mph on an interstate."  I know it is much greater than my
Comcast links.