[ale] Ears of Bull

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 12:28:39 EDT 2017

My beloved HTC One M8 has a dying battery. This wouldn't ordinarily be a
problem, but when it heats up and swells it puts pressure on the
motherboard, which causes the phone to go into an endless boot loop.  And
the battery is _Not_User_Replaceable_

I now have a Usable Cell Phone. Steps:

   * Buy V20 H918 ( removable battery, removable SD storage ) from
Swappa.com (Yay Swappa!)
   * Downgrade software version from H91810K to H91810J
      ( monster 2-hour tussle with Windows and LG-UP, max Propers to Mr.
Lessenger for his gracious assistance )
   * Use dirtyCOW exploit on MY OWN DAMN PHONE to gain root access to the
device
   * Install TWRP on the recovery partition (which ships on the H918
COMPLETELY BLANK ) using dd(1) (!!!)
   *  Make a nandroid backup of the Current Stock OS with TWRP
   *  Use TWRP to install LineageOS and OpenGApps on the phone
   *  Wait 25 minutes for LineageOS first boot code to run

And now all I have to do is transfer my Contacts and password file to the
new phone.  Hurray.  This took me about a day of intense and stressful
hassle to get through, spread over about 3 days of actual time.  When I
want to install my own chosen OS on my PC, it takes me about 45 minutes
plus some minor configuration time.  Huh. Go Figure.

I'd attach a picture of the LineageOS boot screen, but alas I can't put
that through this server.

-- CHS