[ale] X-Post from XDA-Developers

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 16:17:55 EDT 2017

Just in case someone here can help me out?

Phone is a T-Mobile LG V20 running Android 7.0 security patch level May 1
2017. It is a refurbished machine bought on swappa which arrived in factory
reset condition.  I am attempting to install twrp-3.0.2-1-h918.img from a
Debian 7.0 box using android-sdk-tools version 24.4.1  I have enabled OEM
unlock and USB debugging on the phone.  I can connect to the phone with adb
and use "adb reboot booloader" to place it in fastboot mode.   Fastboot
shows the correct device with " fastboot devices".  I have unlocked the
bootoader with "fastboot oem unlock", rebooted the phone, re-enabled USB
debug, rebooted to fastboot mode.

fastboot oem unlock appears to work.  fastboot getvar all shows bootloader
is unlocked.   fastboot flash recovery twrp-*.img  says "FAILED
(remote:unknown command):
************
root at antling:/home/devel/V20/lineageOS# fastboot flashing unlock_critical
(bootloader)    Device already : unlocked!
OKAY [  0.016s]
finished. total time: 0.016s
root at antling:/home/devel/V20/lineageOS# fastboot flash recovery
twrp-3.0.2-1-h918.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (24092 KB)...
OKAY [  0.577s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: unknown command)
finished. total time: 0.596s
root at antling:/home/devel/V20/lineageOS# fastboot flashing get_unlock_ability
(bootloader)    get_unlock_ability: 1
OKAY [  0.014s]
finished. total time: 0.014s
root at antling:/home/devel/V20/lineageOS#

Needless to say, recovery mode is still stock.  I get the same error when I
re-lock the boot partition with "fastboot oem lock" and attempt "fastboot
flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-1-h918.img", which leads me to suspect that the
recovery partition is
not actually unlocked.   The 25.5.5 Android SDK is available but uses a
newer glibc.

It was my understanding that T-Mobile V20s were easily rooted?

-- CHS
~