[ale] Realigning a partition with data

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Apr 23 16:10:05 EDT 2017

I don't think alignment matters on SSDs. They are so fast.

I've done this with gparted, but always made a full partition backup
using fsarchiver first.  Didn't need the backup, but ... I'm pretty
experienced with the tools.

Also, the underlying file system matters.  XFS/btrfs seem to have the
most issues.  EXT3/4 seem to be well supported for things like this.  IMHO.

gparted and parted have always handled alignment issues. I heard that
fdisk started sometime after they added GPT support (whenever that was).
I've never used gdisks after seeing all the problems people had with it.
 Heard that fdisk is safe on GPT again, for the latest distros.

I have a K2/200 around here somewhere. Keep it for the 5.25in floppy.
Never know when that will be needed again.  That machine also has an
Adaptec 2940u SCSI card. ;)