[ale] Help with kernel complilation

Boris Borisov bugyatl at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 07:46:30 EDT 2017

I'm trying to revive an relatively old device. MIPS SoC and looks like
small netbook. Development of never software has been stopped around 2010 I
believe. I'm taking that more of a challenge than to find probable use for
it.

So far after a lot of searching over the web archives ( is amazing how
quick software get abandoned and even lost today ) I found good kernel
source properly patched with the right LCD display driver.

As of yesterday's tests and several kernels later I have this question.

Seem like I don't have root device information build in the kernel. When
boots kernel gives message " root device NULL is been substituted with
/dev/mtdblock4 ".  I purposely disabled in the kernel config drivers for
MTD devices and yaffs file systems just for reason kernel not to look there.

On other hand SD card is properly recognized.

Question: Where in the kernel compiling process I set root device? Is that
even possible.

I've read that modern kernel rely on initrd image to detect and mount root.

In old times you use rdev command to set manually that in the kernel.
Obviously rdev is been deprecated way back.

Thanks