[ale] Make Gnome Shell look like Unity

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Apr 10 18:50:20 EDT 2017

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 11:53:33 -0400
DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> I'll happily keep using my straight openbox setup. DEs aren't for me,
> but it appears that others like them (or don't know any better).

Me too, except I added dmenu from Suckless Tools, so I can quickly run
any executable straight from the keyboard a heck of a lot quicker than
reaching for the mouse.

Dmenu is the great equalizer of GOSFUIs (Graphical OS Facing User
Interface, which is the sum of all window managers and desktop
environments). Add dmenu, via an easily accessible key combo, to any
GOSFUI, and if you're anything of a touch typist you'll quickly forego
your "old way" for running apps via dmenu. It can be added to any
GOSFUI with facilities to run an arbitrary command with an arbitrary
key combo, which means well over 90% of all GOSFUIs.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist