[ale] Tmux, where have you been alll my life?

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 07:46:15 EDT 2016

I sort of feel like the neophyte here.

Almost everything I do is completely automated in Puppet, so if I’m manually kicking things off and doing work, chances are high it’s something I’ll need to start at work and finish at home.  Sometimes this is on the same personal box and sometimes it isn’t.  Sometimes my laptop and then pick up on my desktop at home.

The only allowed entry point to our network is ssh + tunneling.  so, for the sake of ease, I might start a screen, kick off a job, then detach and go home.  I’ll login periodically and reconnect to that screen in the evening, check everything is progressing as expected then I detach and go to sleep.  I may or may not have the time to check it in the morning, but when I get to work, I ssh to the machine, reconnect to the screen and I’m right back where I was when I left.

I’d imagine tux offers the same goodness + bells and whistles, but honestly… now that I’m 100% home (as of last week) I have to use screen (and maybe tux) all over the world with machines I’m not allowed to take over a vty very long (unless I’m interacting with it) because there’s a ton of other people that might need that term.

Tools like screen/tmux make this possible within an ssh session, so I never use the virtual.  It’s pedestrian, but it works.

—j