[ale] Tmux, where have you been alll my life?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Sep 14 11:07:48 EDT 2016

I'm not concerned about sessions to remotes. For me, tmux allows me to process lots of info in seconds without clicking tabs. Terminator would probably work for me here.

For sessions I have programs for that. I have devices over ppp demand, VPN, etc. I've automated my SSH sessions to handle all that crap.

1. I use ping to see if what I need to connect to is up. If over modem this will start the dial process.
2. Without ping ssh would start dial, but timeout. I also have to deal with poor phone lines so I use a custom chat that will try 57600, 9600, and 2400 on the serial port before failing. A dial process could take 3 minutes if we drop down to 2400.

3. Once up I use ServerAliveInterval=2 and ServerAliveCountMax=1 to keep the SSH alive. My dial-ups will drop if no packets in 60s. Those SSH options fix it. Those SSH options also fix dumb NAT firewalls.

Instead of "exec SSH, if fail push up arrow and hit enter till success" I simply run my perl expect program with the target and go about my business.

I'm no stranger to terminal sessions like tmux. I've used DoubleVision and FacetTerm.

The Linux device I distribute uses standard fonts on tty1. 80x25. I now need to change that to use fonts as tiny as possible. When installing the device using a keyboard and LCD one can connect to other virtual terminals. Tmux will allow me to work faster. If tmux will work with GPM then I will be amazed.