[ale] Life on the Other Side

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 14:40:51 EDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-10-10 at 14:30 -0400, Rev. Johnny Healey wrote:
> > > I think it would go against the spirit of the GPL to have a clause
limiting what end users can do with the software. The GPL is NOT an
EULA.

I see your point. But that is already exactly what the GPL does:
prohibits end users from closing the code and blocking others they
distribute to from enjoying the same freedoms. I was being certainly
snarky but do see a validity in requiring a certain degree of openness
to allow porting a codebase to a new platform. I don't want to see Mac
fanboys supporting the walled garden of hardware, and now software,
with their cash while relying on GPL tools to make things work. I like
the idea of "you paid the devil for lunch so shut up and eat".

<so not a mac fanboy - says the guy whose tag is LINUX1>

Ale at ale.org

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at

Ale at ale.org

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at