[ale] Tomcat Monitoring

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Oct 5 17:41:10 EDT 2016

The biz tech replaced my supplied modem with theirs today. She knew her cable, but not layer 2 vs layer 3 and my issue with this new modem is that it is layer 3 type device. My original modem was just a "bridge". She told me to turn on "bridge" mode all I needed to do was disable DHCP and turn off firewall. No, not really. What I did was assign my router a static on 10.1.10.0/24 address that this modem is on and configure that static address for DMZ.

Is this good enough to give me the benefits of layer 2 or should I just replace it with my own and send it back?

With that DMZ it should just be DNAT/SNAT for everything on the public. Double NAT issues should not really cause a problem. I do something similar when I assign a lab device a public IP from my private net. On a system at Peak 10 I alias another public on its eth0. I run openvpn on the device with the 10.8.1.X subnet and then use DNAT/SNAT to "assign" that public to the device.