[ale] Killed a cable modem

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Oct 5 15:49:35 EDT 2016

I replaced my cable modem today because I think I killed the other one yesterday.

My router is a SoC type device that uses USB on eth1 to the cable modem. I connected a USB stick to the router which caused a reset of the USB devices. Possibly a Vdrop. The consequences of this was that the modem could no longer "lock" with Comcast, I'm using her words and told her that in our biz that if it were locked we'd throw it in the trash. I was able to pull a DHCP private address from the Arris SB6183. The problem was that the modem could no longer connect back to Comcast. Coincidence?

We reset it to factory. We tested cables. In the end we just replaced it with another modem.