[ale] OT: Kodi fails on video.

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Oct 3 07:35:50 EDT 2016

On 09/30/2016 05:49 PM, Boris Borisov wrote:
> Is not available online on Smithsonian site. They have small clips
> there a these are playable. The issue is with video in Smithsonian
> add-on for Kodi. At least no don't know how to download with Kodi.

Won't help you this time, but for lurkers ...  Generally, if you look at
the kodi.log file, about 12 lines from the bottom when you ask it to
play will be the URL to the file.  Grab that, use wget/youtube-dl whatever.

If kodi can see it, it is on the internet if it isn't coming through a
TV tuner.

Ok ... just installed that plugin.

Only see "The King's Skeleton: Richard III Revealed."
On my r-pi2, plays at 1080p, stutters badly. Zero audio.  1080p content
does this if not highly compressed.

The link for it won't download from another client.

Tried playing some other videos.  All the 1080 content had the same
issue on a r-pi v2. The 720p stuff played beautifully, but not the
1080p. Looks like they encoded it with methods the r-pi can't do in HW.
At that resolution, if the HW decoder can't handle it, then the CPU just
isn't strong enough.

Added to plugin on an intel Kodi machine (Pentium G3258) this morning.
It refuses to play that specific title, but all others are working -
both 720 and 1080 stuff. I suspect there are problems just with that
single file. Check back in a week and they might have fixed it?

BTW, the Smithsonian Channel is sorta like Discovery meets Animal
planet.  Watched some Lions being relocated  - good for 10 min of
entertainment.