[ale] Something to keep in mind.

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Mon Nov 28 15:42:48 EST 2016

Years ago I left the hospitality industry and went to work for a company that made hotel software.   I often had to explain to developers who thought they’d came up with a “brilliant” idea that it wouldn’t work in real world hotels.   Hotels by and large do little training in basics like checking people in and out so the chance they’d train staff on anything more esoteric was slim to none.   Hotels also have a fair amount of turnover so even if they do have someone who learns it all the chances that person will be around a year later are miniscule and my own observation was most folks didn’t want to learn anything new anyway.   I became SME on many things including IT systems because I made the effort to learn – not because hotels spent any effort on training.

In the years since I’ve dealt with many end users in the various industries I’ve done IT for and have found that hotels weren’t unique in people that don’t know and don’t really want to learn.

I often point out to other system admins that if people were better at this stuff we wouldn’t have jobs. :-)

At some point technology becomes magic and we are the modern wizards who know the arcane words of power.