[ale] MySQL array based snapshot

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 15:38:12 EST 2016

That sounds like a crappy chip/driver combo. Care to share brand so we
can avoid the pain?

I've got a LaCie 2Tb USB3 drive that runs with no issues conected to a
Mac. Plugged into my Fedora 24 Dell I see drive issues all over and
half the time the unit won't mount spewing errors messages about bad
drive IO.

I plugged it into a USB2 Mac running MacOS and it said it was fine.
Format that drive with a Linux install and the new Linux says the drive
is bad. Reinstall the Mac and it says it's badd as well. Upgrade the
Mac to the latest version and it says the drive is fine.

I trust the Linux messages.

On Tue, 2016-11-22 at 15:24 -0500, DJ-Pfulio wrote:

> > guest operating systems.
>
> I've seen similar on a KVM host, but the backup storage is USB3, so I
> wouldn't compare. On that system, any USB access of any significance
> > destroys all I/O across the system completely - disk, USB, network -
all
> > are effectively paused for the time the USB is used.  I've tried a
few
> different methods to solve it. Each has failed, though they were
> > specific to the same USB chips my system uses.  It is an addon card
too,
> not on the MB using N/S-bridge.
>
> > Oddly, a newer system with $50 CPU + $50 MB doesn't have **any**
issues
> dealing with USB3 traffic.  It flows and doesn't appear to impact
> > anything else at all. Works like we'd expect USB3 to work - have 16TB
of
> storage array (4x4T) connected via USB3 on that machine. Not bad for
> $99, but the array is truly cheap - doesn't support SMART and if the
> > power goes out, it is left off until someone physically pushes the
power
> button.  No "last state" setting for power-up.
>
> Wish I could just have said that hyper-v was the problem, but can't.

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/