[ale] MySQL array based snapshot

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Nov 22 09:49:05 EST 2016

The question says “array” which makes it sound like they’re NOT talking about LVM snapshot but rather native snapshotting within an external storage array (e.g. Thin Image within Hitachi).   Snapshots one has to be careful with because often they do not contain all the data from the original but only a subset with pointers back to the original and separate storage for deltas where the copy the original diverge over time.

Also the original question didn’t say he wanted this for backup.  It said the only results of a web search were thousands of cautioning about relying on snapshots as a replacement for backups.   It’s quite possible the question has another purpose in mind entirely (e.g. using a copy of a database for testing or reporting purposes).