[ale] MySQL array based snapshot

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 16:38:51 EST 2016

This sounds to me like a LVM snapshot of the database file space.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/backup-methods.html

Snapshot _IS_ a backup as long as it is copied off the original
machine. Loud google mouths are not always accurate. Dump your Google
search cookie and see what comes up again.

There is a STUN event but it's pretty short. The key that I see is to
lock the DB after a flush (see link) , make the LVM snapshot, then
release the lock, copy out the snapshot as a backup. The performance
drag happens during the copy of the snapshot but the copy can be 'nice
20' if things are on a decent drive subsystem and drive failure is not
expected to be eminent.

On Mon, 2016-11-21 at 14:45 -0500, Chris Fowler wrote:
> > > I've received this question today and I can't pinpoint on if MySQL
supports it or not.   Google is flooding me with "snapshot is not a
backup" pages.

> > "Need Processor counts and if the internal DB supports array based
snapshots which result in minimal STUN of the virtual disk."

> I'm running MySQL 5.X.
>

> Chris

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.