[ale] Why Run your own email server?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Nov 15 14:43:19 EST 2016

Nice necrothread.

We've been blacklisted by 1 regional ISP, once in 20+ yrs running email
servers. That ISP runs multiple domains and only 1 of those has a single
domain blacklisted. Replied to 1 email, send to me by one of their
customer's systems, pointing out it was spam. That was it. Blacklisted.
That ISP has been bought out now, but they still run the domain for
legacy reasons.  Attempts to be removed failed multiple times. Just
wasn't worth it to keep trying.

Never allowed spam relay, so that hasn't been an issue.

In short, there is a slight learning curve to running email - not due to
SMTP, but due to everything we do to avoid _bad users_ trying to abuse
SMTP - but after that is handled, it is pretty much just another service
that gets patched and not really looked at all that much.