[ale] Rescue grub on Debian Jessie

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon Nov 7 21:00:30 EST 2016

Just upgraded a Jessie system with software raid and grub won't install
to it.  Now I have nothing after the reboot except the grub shell.

The system is set up as /dev/md0 supposed to map to /boot and /dev/md1
is the root filesystem.

I can't find anything online for how to load up the bootloader and get
it going from a second partition and then transition to the root.  All
examples I can find for using the grub console show everything on one
partition.

I'm probably going to have to try and rescue from a CD unless I can at
least boot from the grub shell.  I can see the files by doing:

ls (md/0) and ls (md/1), I just can't seem to figure out how to tell
grub that all of it's /boot files are located on (md/0) and that root is
(md/1).

Once I get this up and running I have to figure out why it's not
building the grub files at all.  There was no grub.cfg file generated
even though it found two kernels.