[ale] [Totally OT] UNCLE Ex

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu May 19 11:53:21 EDT 2016

I’ll check it out.  I’d been reluctant to view it because I have fond memories of the original series and most movies based on TV series seem to miss the mark badly.

When they cast Jim Varney as Jed in the Beverly Hillbillies movies I knew they’d be awful and sure enough they were.   Portraying Jed as stupid rather than just ignorant of the wider world was a travesty.  In the original series Jed was portrayed as wise and in more than one instance his view of the world turned out to be more correct than that of the “sophisticated” society with which he was interacting.

In the plus column were the Brady Bunch movies where they didn’t try to recreate the original series but instead came up with the novel concept of having the 70s era Brady family and attitudes interact with current era society.

Charlie’s Angels was actually a little better than the original series mainly because that series had some of the most inane plots imaginable.

I never checked the credits of that series but it appears that show didn’t REALLY have anyone doing continuity.   They once had an episode where 2 crooks followed one of the angels and her target so they can get even (kill the target).   At one point in the show the head crook says he wants to follow them so they don’t kill them locally as it would make it more likely they’d get caught.  They then follow and drive through miles and miles of open desert without stopping them because the head crook now says he wants to know where they’re going.   Once they get to Las Vegas he doesn’t want to kill them there because he wants to be on home turf.  Excuse me?!  Just a short while before he said he specifically did NOT want to kill them on his home turf and gave reasons.  That kind of incongruity was the final straw that made me quit watching despite the three attractive ladies.