[ale] Meetup renewal time

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon May 16 15:54:28 EDT 2016

I've heard that Hushmail and protonmail are that sort.  Only played with
throw-away-accounts with both.  Other than that, ask as many security
professionals as you can.  Most that I know have given up and use gmail, but
they know the risks for 10 sec, then put it out of their mind, since all their
friends also use gmail or one of the privacy-sucking other services, so unless
everyone stops, anything you or I do is effectively nulled.

Try a websearch too (obviously NOT google!). "private mail free service" is the
query I'd begin with.
https://www.deepdotweb.com/2015/08/03/which-secure-email-provider-is-the-one-for-you/
was found.

BTW, I avoid using GPG with browser addons.  GPG is handled best by thick email
clients, never webmail, for security reasons. If you go to the effort to use
gpg, why not take 1 extra step to actually be 90% more secure?  For me, webmail
(which I run on my box) is a non-starter over the internet. I do not consider
HTTPS to be secure enough to trust for anything I want to remain private.

I started running email for a company in the mid-90s. When my home connection
became fast enough (ISDN), I switched to running email out of the house (abraxis
was the ISP).  That helps a little with privacy, but be aware that ISPs are
required by law to capture email header data (timestamp, TO, FROM, Subject, and
a few other headers), so all of that is stored no matter what I (or you) do.  If
the ISP does business in Europe, the data is also send to a central EU
government facility outside Paris, for access by any law enforcement agencies in
the EU. If you asked over a beer, I may say more. ;)  They don't attempt to
filter which headers need to go or not. They just send them all to be compliant.

This reminds me, I need to check my protonmail account to see if anything
interesting has shown up. It has been 4 months. ;)  Gotta bring up the VPN, use
a foreign exit node first. ;)