[ale] virt-install and regular user help sought

Héctor Abreu habreu71 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 20:15:37 EDT 2016

Hi,

I am new to virt-install but I read in some tutorials (and I think on the
man page too) that you need root privileges in order to run virt-install
commands.

Regards,

Héctor.
El may 11, 2016 7:05 PM, "Narahari 'n' Savitha" <savithari at gmail.com>
escribió:

Friends:

I need some help and guidance from you regarding this virt-install issue I
am seeing.

OS : SuseEnterpriseLinuxServer (SLES) 12 Service Pack 1
virt-install version on the box
virtual at SLES12-bare:~> virt-install --version
1.2.1

libvirt version : libvirt-1.3.4-565.1.x86_64

What I tried:
=========

I tried to start virt-install as regular user and I am seeing errors listed
below.

If I start the same with sudo it works (the user virtual shown here is a
sudo enabled user)

I really want to start the virt-install as a regular user.

Please help.

Error
====

virtual at SLES12-bare:~> virt-install --connect qemu:///session -n SLES12_SP1
--memory 4096 --vcpus 2 --cdrom
/data/ADP_x86_64_SLES12SP1.x86_64-12.1.6.preload.iso --graphics spice
--disk /data/kvm_images/SLES12_SP1.img
WARNING  Graphics requested but DISPLAY is not set. Not running virt-viewer.
WARNING  No console to launch for the guest, defaulting to --wait -1

Starting install...
ERROR    Failed to connect socket to '/run/user/500/libvirt/virtlogd-sock':
No such file or directory
Domain installation does not appear to have been successful.
If it was, you can restart your domain by running:
  virsh --connect qemu:///session start SLES12_SP1
otherwise, please restart your installation.

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo