[ale] [OT] Rev Bayes and the best programming language

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Sun May 8 13:27:39 EDT 2016

On 05/07/2016 02:29 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> My gripe with all languages: until you know all the library functions
> too much time is spent reinventing the wheel. Once all the library
> functions are known, all languages are pretty much like all other
> languages once syntax idiosyncrasies are bypassed.

Yeah, this.  Algorithms rule.  Libraries supply the most common for you.

> Best language: whatever I'm good at and am willing to pound keyboard
> producing.

When I'm writing software to pay the bills, the best language is the one
the customer is paying for.  C, Jython, and Java lately.

When I'm writing software to solve my own problems, it's usually bash or
python.  { While the python devs really want there to be only one way to
solve problems with python, they failed. }

Phil