[ale] [OT] Rev Bayes and the best programming language

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Sun May 8 08:24:59 EDT 2016

On 05/07/16 12:39, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
 > Seems we go over this same thing every 3 months.  Line in the sand
and move on?

You know I respect your opinion, pardner. Chapter 3 of the "Smarter,
Faster, Better" book talks about the issues with fixated goal setting.
According to the author, isreal failed to properly prepare for the Yom
Kippur war because they had a plan. Data changed but the plan didn't.

While I'm not the best at decision making, sometimes you have to sweep
away one line in the sand and draw another. The trick is to know when.

On 05/07/16 12:39, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> Agree. I "like" programming in Ruby.  It has issues, but the enjoyment is real.

I spent much of yesterday afternoon starting back into Ruby. I knew the
math could be done in C but wasn't sure how. Figured it out in Ruby. Had
fun doing that and fixing a bug in some old code.

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

langs = Hash.new

langs['C']      = [25,25,25,75]
langs['Ruby']   = [100,100,75,75]
langs['Shell']  = [50,50,50,100]
langs['Perl']   = [100,25,0,75]

langs.each do |lang, scores|
   total = 0.0
   scores.each do |score|
     total += score
   end
   printf("%-7s %2.1f\n",  lang, total / scores.count)
end