[ale] OT: HAM gear

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Jun 22 20:29:10 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-22 17:19, Steve Litt wrote:

> http://www.w7ekb.com/glowbugs/rx/Regens/FETREGN2.gif
>
> In the preceding, I don't know what a "AF Interstage Transformer (tube
> type) is, so I'll need to find that out. With this design, I'd need to
> wind the coils.

AF = "Audio Frequency" meaning a transformer that is designed for
frequencies less than 30 kHz.  It's usually a 1:1 iron core (according
to the schematic) transformer.

> Then I'd probably move on to the "If you decide to build a radio from
> scratch, this is the schematic I suggest you use" diagram on this page:
>
> http://www.geojohn.org/Radios/MyRadios/RegenSW/RegenSW.html#Chapter_2
>
> In the preceding, I'd be winding coils with three windings: RF input,
> tank circuit and tickler.
>
> The following link is to a kit form of approximately the preceding
> radio:
>
> http://qrpkits.com/scoutregen.html
>
> The preceding is informative, especially on coil winding. I might just
> buy the kit, although it's not exactly what I want.

You'd probably be better off with the last circuit since the op-amp will
help with the audio level without loading down the receiver.