[ale] 3 days of 3+ hrs Comcast Outages!

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:06:14 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 2:37 PM, DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> were
> > It's not the location of manufacture, but rather due to there genuinely
> > being many major (and even more minor) variations of the Intel ethernet
> > ASICs over the years.  Notably, the server-targeted PRO/1000 family was
> > quite different (and more expensive) than the client-targeted PRO/1000s.
> > The former supported more PHYs and fancier offload support which took a
> > few revisions to get right..
>
> True.  It was a design issue, NOT a manufacturing problem. Mexico just
> happened to be the locate of that specific run.
>
> And the outages begin again today.  Had one earlier today. Comcast
> didn´t claim to know about it, so looks like something from the street
> to my house.
>
> $ ping 8.8.8.8
> PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
>
> --- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
> 10 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 9071ms

FWIW I had an "outage" recently with Comcast. I found that my IPv4
connectivity was broken and I could not get a DHCP response. My IPv6
connectivity did work however. I found that I was able to get IPv4 working
again by changing my MAC address. It appeared that my MAC got placed in a
block list. I believe this to be the case because I accidentally enabled
DHCP Server on my Comcast facing port (whoops), which I've stopped now.

Probably unrelated to your issues but I figure its worth sharing for anyone
that may experience a similar issue.

[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory
[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$