[ale] IoT

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Jul 26 23:09:54 EDT 2016

The direct Zigbee replacement would be to use the base IEEE 802.15.4 and
put a protocol of your choice on top of it.

As for the Espressif ESP8266 chips, if you drop out of NodeMCU and
program the chips directly using their SDK you can unlock a significant
amount of power.  For example, did you know the chip has an I2S
interface built-in?  Add on a codec chip and a RAM chip (for buffering)
and you can stream MP3 sound with the module.