[ale] IoT

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Jul 26 17:18:01 EDT 2016

On 07/26/2016 05:03 PM, Jim Lynch wrote:
> And an annuity to some.
>
> On 07/26/2016 02:49 PM, leam hall wrote:
>> A dream to some...a nightmare to others.

IoT will be like Y2K work for Cobol programmers for the foreseeable
future. There will constantly be security issues. There will constantly
be devices which have dropped support after 2-3 yrs, not the typical
"useful life" for most home devices we buy (10+ yrs).

If an IoT device is tied to a cloud to work, take this as the warning.
Don't. Just don't.

If you think smartphone OS upgrade support is bad, you ain't seen nuthin'.

Or the govt will break the device - my S2 TiVo with "lifetime" schedule
data ($650!) became useless thanks to the FCC breaking "cable ready" and
the switch to ATSC.  The TiVo still works, but can't record anything.
BTW, ATSC v3 is coming in a few years. All our tuners will be useless
again (h.265 encoding).

Don't get me started about all the VCRs that don't work anymore either.