[ale] Fedora 24, VirtualBox, and Guest Additions

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Jul 20 11:03:39 EDT 2016

On 07/20/2016 07:13 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I don't use virtual box as kvm and virtmanager are quite capable tools that ship
> with fedora.

I stopped using vbox when KVM + NX become so great that it wasn't worth the
hassles of dealing with Oracle's licensing.  The core stuff license isn't bad.
The last time I looked, the guest additions licensing was less than ideal for my
needs.

OTOH, if Windows is the hostOS, I still think vbox is the least evil option.

virt-manager does work fine for creating a Win7 VM.  I'd recommend using RDP
from that point on **from the same LAN only**. I've never seen/touched anything
from MSFT after Win7.  A few years ago, I would give presentations on tuning
Windows VMs (vbox or KVM as the hosts). Think those presentations are still on
the web somewhere.  The only thing that needs careful consideration is the disk
setup if it isn't on an SSD.  I've seen 50% performance differences with the
wrong vHDD choices/setup.