[ale] Cable modem and service

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Tue Jul 19 12:14:37 EDT 2016

I have seriously considered a full Farady cage for my server area and a
"spinning concrete block generator" for power at this this time of the
year. All data connections would go through a couple of turns of #36
fusible link wire around a chunk of scintered iron core for impedance.
Or maybe a short range laser (2 feet!). I got hit by lightning about a
decade+ ago. Ala-Ka Zot! on a tree 4 feet from my house. My network
wires took an EMP that had to have been in the thousands of volts.
EVERY device, except the surge protectors on the power lines, died. I
had a pair of unopened fluorescent lights that glowed so brightly the
plastic package melted onto the bulbs. About $35,000 of electronic
replacements later even the tree managed to survive. I was in my
basement when it hit the tree about 10 feet from me. Luckily I had a
solid masonry wall between me and the tree. But the E-field was so
strong it made every hair on my body stick straight out and right
through my socks and shirt. Also luckily, I had recently been to the
bathroom.

On Tue, 2016-07-19 at 12:00 -0400, leam hall wrote:
> > > Jim, again, thanks! I'm now in Charleston SC and thunderstorms seem
to be the natural pastime. I'll quit grumping and be patient. And
spend time in the bookstore on their wi-fi.  ;)
> Leam

The contract installers were/are not all as diligent as they should
be about grounding everything. A lightning strike in area A can
knock out service in area B if both are not grounded properly at
all the pole units and all the residential units.

issues again. Bleagh! Any specific things to look for? The Signal
Page shows Upstream at 50 dBmV and downstream at between -1 and 1
dBmV.

> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Leam

at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this
Page for a new reading0 dBmV  -1 dBmV  0 dBmV  0 dBmV  0 dBmV  0
dBmV  1 dBmV  1 dBmV

was to be on today. The up and down lights come on green then
go to blue. Comcast says modem not responding to contact.
the first splitter. Lights still the same.