[ale] RTL8821AE Disable 5GHz

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Jan 31 13:02:50 EST 2016

I ran into an issue last night that drove me nuts.

I was at the EAA offices at Gwinnett Briscoe Field during Winter Field Day (Ham Radio) taking an opportunity to play with a SDR on Ubuntu 15.10 (Kernel 4.X). EAA has dual-band access point, but 5GHz was not allowing me out. I have a TPLink at home that has issues on 5GHz with same symptoms where I can reboot.

Googling a fix on my phone did not yield much help. Many suggestions assumed I had control of the AP. For example, one was to use different names for each band. I do that at home.

MY goal was to instruct the driver to only use 2.4GHz band. Not much luck figuring that one out. Ubuntu provides no option to scan and choose the band or force the band of the radio. By luck I had my HooToo WISP device and I used it to get on their network.

I'm trying to still figure this out so I know in the future how to disable it. Has anyone had to do this and can let me in on the secret?