[ale] OT: micro mini nano PC

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Jan 30 18:34:01 EST 2016

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 17:09:38 -0500
Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay; I'll show my ignorance here.  Why would you need 2TB for a root
> partition?  I'm running CentOs 7 as a desktop, so / has a lot of crap
> in it that ordinarily wouldn't be needed.  Even so, the boot partition
> and / together amount to less than 10 GB.
>
> Sean

Yes, I phrased it wrong. What I should have said is I use MBR on
anything where the device containing the root partition is less than
2tb.

In other words, with only one disk in the system, if / were  5GB,
and /usr were 5GB, and /var were 5GB, but /home is 3TB, I'd need to use
UEFI in order not to lose disk space.

On the desktop I'm using right now, my / consumes the entirety of a
128GB SSD. It also contains /usr, /usr/local, /lib and the like. It's
formatted MBR and boots MBR.

My other two disks contain all sorts of often written system stuff
(/var, /run) and all sorts of partitions meant to hold my data. Those
are formatted GPT, and don't boot at all.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28